Many people like to have wallpaper installed on the same wall as their TV is mounted, which is a great look for your Toronto home. But this begs the question, should you have the wallpaper installed first, or the TV mounted to the wall first?
To answer this question we have guest blogger Gordon Cameron from TEC.works taking us through the process of installing a TV wall mount on a wall that will be wallpapered. We don’t want any extra holes put in our wallpapered wall for fishing wires, so here is Gordon’s fool-proof method for ensuring a properly positioned TV that keeps all wallpaper intact:
Getting exactly the right position for a flat panel TV installation requires some planning up front.
- Is the screen the right viewing height from your favourite chair?
- How many other people join you for movie night, and where will they be sitting?
- What about a sound bar? Sound bars typically work best mounted below the screen, but this could push the screen height up if there is a mantle. Speaking of sound, have you sorted the EARC (https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/EnhancedAudioReturnChannel)? If you want good quality audio and depth, EARC is vital.
- How are all the wires for the HDMI inputs, power and possibly an optical cable run from AV components to the TV? How will they be concealed? Do you need to buy some heatshrink sleeving for the cables?
You can get answers to some of these questions with a measuring tape, or even a masking tape outline on the wall. But there is no substitute for actually lifting the TV into the approximate position to get a feel for how it will fit with the room. Each of these tape outlines or temporary lifts is an opportunity to scuff up a beautiful wallpaper job. Here is what I’d recommend to get the TV installed where you want it, without damaging the wallpaper:
- Determine the desired location for the TV, and then decide what sort of wall mount makes most sense. TV wall mounts can be mounted flat against the wall, tilt out a few degrees from the top, or even swivel and tilt. It all depends on your room and seating.
- Mark the studs, install the desired wall mount and then hang the TV
- Run all the cabling. Often there are several HDMI cables, power and possibly optical cables, and they all need to be concealed.
- Once you are satisfied with the installation, remove the cabling and the TV
- Loosen bolts or screws and lags and remove the wall mount
- Have CAM Painters work their magic with the wallpaper installation
- Install wall mount again into existing holes or lags
- Install and level the TV
- Rerun and conceal all the cabling
- Order pizza and enjoy the movie!
Thanks Gordon for the great advice! Here’s a little information about TEC.works:
At TEC.works, we help solve technology headaches for consumers and small businesses. That might mean reviewing consumer bills for cell phones, Internet, TV packages, or home phones and finding less expensive options that are a better fit for your needs. It might mean installing a home theatre system, or a presentation screen in a retail outlet. It might mean troubleshooting WiFi signal strength in a dead spot at your home or business. We’ll find the right technology products or services for you, and then manage them professionally. Because you’ve got better things to do with your time.
READ MORE: Choosing wallpaper for your Toronto home
So if you’re planning on having a TV and wallpaper on the same wall, why don’t you book a quote? With both us and TEC.works it will be a seamless process! Transform your home with lasting beauty!
Recently we transformed the fireplace in a loft in the west end of Toronto with wallpaper. This wasn’t a typical installation and it required more problem solving than a normal wallpaper installation. Let’s go through how we did it:
First, we had to make sure that we had wallpaper quantities properly calculated. The ceilings were 18′ high and it was a 15′ drop from ceiling to the top of the fireplace. Usually a double roll will do 3 to 4 drops (the distance from ceiling to top of baseboard), but in this case we were only able to get 2 drops out of each double roll. So, due to the longer drops we required more rolls of the wallpaper than a similar area with smaller drops.
READ MORE: How many rolls of wallpaper should I order for my wallpaper project?
The most obvious issue that had to be dealt with was accessing the two storey wall. If the fireplace wall was being painted we could just put up an extension to brush the top edge in and then roll everything else using a roller on an extension pole.
Extension ladders are problematic with wallpaper installations because it has to be set up to one side in order to avoid the path of the strip of wallpaper. This means that the installer has to lean far to one side in order to install a strip of wallpaper, an awkward position to say the least. However, if the painter or installer was to look into a website such as platformsandladders.com for other solutions to reach inaccessible places, they might find various mobile platforms that could be set up in such a way that could make the installation of the wallpaper, to be a much safer and easier process.
Step ladders are generally used on most wallpaper installations, which is fine on ceilings up to around 12′. This particular installation would have required a 16′ step ladder, which wasn’t practical to get through condo hallways.
Scaffolding was the best solution. The scaffold frames were 5’x5′, which meant that they could be easily maneuvered through the hallways, and we could have brought them on a service elevator if we needed to. Scaffolding, similar to that from Tiger Scaffolds, can help in many different ways during construction and is a must on any site or building structure. It keeps workers safe while enabling them to reach the highest points of a building. It can be used over and over again and can withstand all weather conditions. Not to mention, you can get scaffold security systems to protect people and buildings from accidents. If construction crews are looking for scaffolding services in Sheffield or any other area, they will need to do their research first to make sure they are getting good quality equipment.
3 levels of scaffolding were used, so the scaffolding height came to about 16′ when it was fully assembled. This is where our employees really found the best benefit of their scaffold tool belt.
Once we had the access issue taken care of, the installation was fairly straightforward. Each strip was hung by two installers, the first on the top platform and the 2nd on the middle platform. Once the top portion was put in place the top platform installer would descend the floor to complete installation of the strip.
READ MORE: 5 Interesting Wallpaper Ideas for your Toronto Home
Through proper planning we were able to take a complex install and turn it into a regular day at work. If you’d like CAM Painters to tackle your complex wallpaper installation why don’t you book a quote? We’d love to Transform Your Home With Lasting Beauty!